Attention to Detail and Diligence are Critical When Dealing with Cyber Security
If the data breaches of the last couple of years are any indication, cyber security and data breaches will continue to make headlines in 2017. Most data security breaches are the result of an oversight somewhere in the system. Companies large and small are being hacked due to vulnerabilities in their computer systems that are identified and exploited by hackers. Companies need to follow cyber security best practices to protect themselves and their customers’ personal information. They need to give cyber security the time and resources necessary to rebuff cyber attacks and to neutralized cyber threats or face growing liability.
Since the area of cybersecurity is constantly changing and evolving, cybersecurity needs to be regularly evaluated to determine whether particular security measures are effectively addressing threats and risks. Only through diligent and consistent efforts can business rise to the challenge posed by hackers invading their computer systems.
Cyber Security Best Practices
One of the biggest risks to a cyber security system is the people who have access to the system. Employees and IT professionals who are not diligent in practicing cyber security best practices expose businesses to significant risk. A few cyber security best practices that those with system access can use to protect and promote security include:
- Develop well-defined and clear cyber security policies and protocols.
- Use multi-factor authentication for system log ins.
- Implement strong password control.
- Require passwords be changed periodically.
- Place restrictions on how many characters passwords can be and what characters can be used.
- Install and use firewall protections.
- Update security software, operating systems, and web browsers regularly.
- Run regular antivirus scanning software.
- Have a response plan in place for when an intrusion is detected.
- Backup computer systems regularly.
- Only grant access to employees based on their level of need for access.
- Limit employees’ ability to install software.
- Grant IT privileges to fully vetted and trusted information technology professionals.
- Regularly schedule employee training programs that address cyber security best practices.
- Monitor the cyber security practices of third parties who have access to the system.
- Insist that third parties follow the same security measures as employees.
In today’s world data security breaches are regular occurrences. Almost everyone has been a victim of a cyber attack at some point in their lives, or will be at some point in the future. Hackers usually target businesses and data bases because they can gain access to a wealth of customer personal information if a hack is successful.
Talk to a Data Breach Lawyer
The landscape surrounding cyber security is constantly in flux. New threats emerge each and every day and security experts are constantly developing new solutions and techniques for businesses to protect their data. If you have concerns about your exposure or have suffered a data security breach, you will need to get into contact with the experienced data breach attorneys at Revision Legal. Data breach notification must occur in a timely fashion according to State and International law. There are certain things you must do in a timely fashion when you learn that you have been hacked and civil fines exist in some states for a failure to expeditiously notify those affected by breaches. You need the legal team from Revision Legal in your corner today. Contact us using the form on this page or call us at 855-473-8474.
Photo credit to Flickr user Blue Coat Photos.